Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Saying Goodbye to Preschool

Dear God,
Tonight I sat my laptop down on the table right on top of the tears I just cried. Tomorrow is Kate's last day of preschool, but the thing that really is making my heart split tonight is that tomorrow is MY last day of preschool. For the last 6 years, MCC has been a constant part of our lives. Since Caroline was just 2 years old and I was new to town. I haven't really lived here without that sweet school and the angel women who give their lives to the children and families there.

The women in those hallways have helped me become a mother. They were so patient with me when I was nervous. They closed their doors and let me vent when I was scared. They prayed over us. They wrote us notes. They took my babies out of my arms and taught them how to be in a group of kids. They taught them to share. To sing. To play. To paint. To use glitter (because you know God  I can't do glitter). To be silly. To count. To read. To write their names. To love you. To walk in a line. To open their own lunchbox. To use manners. To speak in public. To walk confidently out their doors and into the doors at Cary Elementary. They've been the women who have stood beside me when my baby was pushing boys. And biting people. They've spoken the truth to me about the hardest pieces of parenthood. They've also celebrated all the little things. They've taught me, by example, how to be little with my girls, how to slow down and see the tiniest changes in their lives. They've taught me how to listen to children - which is so so different from listening to adults. They've been our village.

And now. Tomorrow. I have to walk out of those doors for the last time, and I don't know how to do it. I have the most grateful heart, and I have an abiding faith that God orders our steps. But that's all I've got. And I hope it's enough. Thank you God for sweet, sweet Methodist Children's Center. Thank you for teachers past and teachers present. Thank you for Alicia,  and Beth. Thank you for Elizabeth. Thank you for Pat and Laura, Cindy, Crystal and Amy, Jessica, Anne and Shelly. Thank for you Mr. Bill and Susanna. Thank you for Peggy and Ashley. We love this group, and we love you God. We're so so so crazy grateful. And we will miss this sweet, tender, thin space.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment